The wallpaper in Gayle King's Manhattan apartment may look like any 17th Century French-inspired design. But take a closer look, and you'll find something surprising.
View Photos [73]
View Profile
On thursday's episode of "The Nate Berkus Show," Oprah Winfrey's best friend invited cameras into her freshly decorated apartment, where the wallpaper in the galley kitchen depicts African-American life in rural and urban areas.

2011 Pre-Grammy Gala and Salute to Industry Icons honoring David Geffen - Arrivals Gayle King photo
2011 Pre-Grammy Gala and Salute to Industry Icons honoring David Geffen - Arrivals Gayle King photo
The Oprah Winfrey Network Winter 2011 TCA Party at The Langham Huntington Hotel - Arrivals Gayle King photo
The Oprah Winfrey Network Winter 2011 TCA Party at The Langham Huntington Hotel - Arrivals Gayle King photo
The Oprah Winfrey Network Winter 2011 TCA Party at The Langham Huntington Hotel - Arrivals Gayle King photo
Created by interior designer Sheila Bridges, the yellow print called "Harlem Toile de Jouy" shows satirical scenes of African-Americans playing basketball and listening to a boombox.
"Yellow is my favorite color," King said. "I don't believe that you can be surrounded by yellow and be unhappy."
When Berkus asked, "What story does your home tell?" King remembered an advice the host once told her.
"I forgot where we were…you, me, Oprah. Someplace we were talking, and you said 'Your home should be a reflection of you.' So, I can travel all around the world, all around the country and see homes that are bigger than mine, nicer than mine, but I never feel when I go back, 'Oh I wished I lived there,' because I think my home is a happy place."
It is reported that King's New York City penthouse is worth $7.4 million. It includes three bedrooms, 3½ baths, a large living room/dining area and a 768-square-foot wraparound terrace.
The talk show host and editor-at-large of O magazine also revealed a tip she "stole" from Winfrey.
"She thinks that the ceilings of your house should never be cream or white, so every ceiling she said should be painted a different color," King told the audience. "First, I thought it was weird, but now I like it."
At one point during her appearance on the show, King said the last taping of "The Oprah Winfrey Show" is going to be "harder on me than it is on her."
"If you called her right now and said 'how many shows?' she would say, '42 and…' whatever it is," she said about Winfrey. "But after 25 years, and 25 years at number one, and now launching OWN, she's ready to go on to something, but every time I see a show I say 'this is the last time we'll ever see Favorite Things. This is the last time we'll ever see Oprah's Oscar Show,' and she goes, 'will you stop saying that! I'm in a good place.'"
2011 TCA Winter Cable Press Tour - Day 2 Gayle King photo
Beyonce Knowles hosts the launch of Lorraine Schwartz's '2BHAPPY' jewelry collection at Lavo Gayle King photo
Beyonce Knowles hosts the launch of Lorraine Schwartz's '2BHAPPY' jewelry collection at Lavo Gayle King photo